The Supportive Mentor, also known as the Sage archetype is the 11th archetype in the series of 12 brand archetypes. If you’re having a difficult time figuring out your brand’s personality, I hope that being introduced to this information will help some of you get a clearer idea which archetype is influencing your business.
The Supportive Mentor (or Sage) brand archetype is educated, wise and perceptive. Typically she is an expert in one or more fields. Her grace comes in her self-reflection (inward knowing) and intelligence (outward knowing), and uses both synergistically to understand the world better. Her gift is her desire to pass the knowledge and understanding she has gleaned onto the rest of us.
Also Known As…
The Suppotive Mentor is also known as the Sage, the Wise Woman, the Scholar, the Expert and the Teacher.
At Her Best…
She has a wealth of experience and wants to share her knowledge and expertise with others. Her overarching goal is to not just find answers and solutions to problems for their own sake, but to use that knowledge and insight to help others succeed. She is curious about many subjects and is constantly learning.
At Her Worst…
She is fearful that her ideas will be ignored by others or seen as a fraud or ignorant. Consequently, she can become obsessed with her desire to find more information, research more, and find more details on the subject at hand. This can cause her to never act, never move forward and never share her beautiful insights and wisdom with the rest of us.
The Main Purpose of This Brand Archetype
The main purpose of the Supportive Mentor brand archetype is to find the answers to questions big and small, so she can better understand the world.
Best Suited For…
- The types of businesses best suited to the Supportive Mentor brand archetype provide education, training or consulting of some kind and market themselves as thought leaders and experts in their field.
- It is ideal for businesses that have created communities around eLearning and online courses where their primary goal is to pass on knowledge and wisdom gleaned from their own hard-fought research, experience and knowledge.
- The Supportive Mentor archetype appeals to clients who are looking for credible, trustworthy and expert sources of the information they seek and the problems they want to solve.
- Clients attracted to this brand want to be treated and seen as competent, intelligent and capable. They should never be talked down to or patronized, nor should the communication style be fake or eg0 driven.
- More than any other, clients attracted to the Supportive Mentor brand require you to “keep it real” and keep it humble. They do not appreciate braggadocio, hot air or hard sell marketing. More than any other, they have a very low tolerance for bullshit and empty promises.
Traits & Attributes for the Supportive Mentor
- Wise Woman
- Deep thinker
- Thought leader
- World of ideas
- Truth seeker
- Information seeking
- Oprah Winfrey
- Brené Brown – research professor & author
- Caroline Myss – author Sacred Contracts
- Deepak Chopra
- Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars
- Hermione Granger in Harry Potter
- The book & play Pygmalion
Is Your Brand the Supportive Mentor?
Do you see your business as the Supportive Mentor brand archetype? If you’re still not sure, that’s okay. I’m writing a series of posts that cover all 12 of the main brand archetypes. My hope is that you’ll be able to use the information to better understand and refine your own brand’s personality!